The PCI Security Standards Council was founded in 2006 by American Express, Discover, JCB International, MasterCard and Visa Inc.
- The five card brands share equally in the governance and execution of the Council’s work.
- The Council maintains, evolves and promotes Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards for the safety of cardholder data across the globe.
- PCI serves merchants of all sizes, financial institutions, point-of-sale vendors, and hardware and software developers who create and operate the global infrastructure for processing payments.
- PCI helps merchants and financial institutions understand and implement standards for security policies, technologies and ongoing processes that protect their payment systems from breaches and theft of cardholder data.
- PCI helps vendors understand and implement standards for creating secure payment solutions.